Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sunbutter Vegetable Stir-fry

I'm still on the TED...and just have to continue experimenting with food. It's been an adventure, to say the least! It has really been extraordinarily difficult, and very much so has taken a toll on my body/health as I know I'm not really getting all the nutrients I should be from my food. I'm heading forward though, as my little guy seems to be tolerating the new foods I've added in. Praise God! Truly! I didn't know what I was going to do, and I'm just so thankful/grateful/relieved/excited to be eating rice, which is my latest addition. It opens up a whole new world to eat rice! Pasta, bread, asian noodles, spring roll wraps, tortillas, cereals, you name it.

Here is my latest creation, and it's delicious! I will definitely be making for the family to enjoy. I don't feel as left out on this crazy diet when we can eat together!

16 oz. package of rice pasta - cooked 1-2 minutes LESS than recommended on package. Makes for a firmer, al-dente bite (plus, continues to slightly cook in recipe)
4 cups stir-fried vegetables of your choice. (onion, mushroom, broccoli, carrot, peas)
1 cup pasta cooking liquid (or vegetable broth, dairy-free milk or water)
5 Tbsp creamy sunbutter
5 Tbsp ketchup
3/4 - 1 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 - 1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar or honey
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice - bottled works fine. Or add in sweet chili sauce from the asian market. Hmmm, I just can't have that yet.
2 Tbsp olive oil + oil to stir-fry with
2 Tbsp Smart Balance Lite margarine
dash or two of hot sauce, if desired
roasted sunflower seeds to garnish, if desired

Prepare a 16 oz package or rice pasta. I used fussili? Long, skinny corkscrew pastas. Be sure to reserve 1+ cup of pasta cooking water. Meanwhile, saute vegetables until crisp tender. Add pasta to dish, radding 1 cup of cooking liquid. Add in remaining ingredients and combine well over low heat. Adjust seasonings as needed. Mixture should be evenly coated with the sauce, and have a very mild, gentle seasoned taste. If desired, garnish with toasted sunflower seeds. Can also add in cooked, cubed meat or vegemeat of your choice.

Enjoy!

No comments: