Saturday, November 15, 2008

Nut-Free Hummus

So...I'm now almost 6 weeks into a Total Elimination Diet (TED) for my 11 week old infant son, Noah. I'm so desperate for foods to eat! I am currently eating:

pears
peaches
banana
blueberries
potatoes
carrots
celery
onion
lentils
quinoa
sunflower seeds

And tonight I added in cannolini bean, so hopefully he'll tolerate those! I have really been craving hummus...and have been puzzling through how to create something I could eat. I did it!!! Below is my recipe for sunflower seed & cannolini bean hummus.

1 can cannolini beans, drained
3 Tbsp olive oil (depends on how much liquid was drained off of beans. For lighter fat, reserve some bean liquid and reduce olive oil)
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice, I can't have citrus yet)
1/8 cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
1 small handful parsley

In a food processor, combine all but the parsley. Process until creamy and smooth, which might take a few minutes. I just turned it on and let it rip while I cleaned up my mess. Once smooth, add the parsley and pulse just to cut into small pieces. Otherwise it will turn the hummus green (like it did to mine!) Although someone was telling me sunflower seeds can turn your baked or cooked dish kelly green.

This was a smooth and creamy dip/spread with a good tang from the vinegar and a bite from the garlic. I am pretty thrilled with my creation!

No comments: